Kirby: Planet Robobot was released for the Nintendo 3DS on June 10th, 2016. An army of robotic invaders – the Haltmann Works Company – has invaded planet Popstar and aims to conquer it with high-tech machinery. Robobot’s amiibo support is quite useful: Kirby will receive a unique Copy Ability depending on the type of amiibo you scan!
Kirby series amiibo
There are four Kirby series amiibo, and each of them is compatible with the game. These figurines offer exclusive rewards that their Super Smash Bros. counterparts do not. In addition to replenishing your health with a Maxim Tomato (which allows you to “cheat” in The Arena), these amiibo also come with a custom ability based on the character scanned. It might sound underwhelming, but worry not: the Kirby series Kirby amiibo has a neat effect. It allows you to use the hidden U.F.O. ability, which can’t be found anywhere else!
amiibo support in Kirby: Planet Robobot isn’t limited to Kirby series amiibo figures. In fact, you can use any amiibo and you will still receive a Copy Ability based on the character. Here’s a full list of compatible amiibo figures and which Copy Abilities they come with. Get ready, because this list is a long one.
- Archer: Pit, Duck Hunt, and Dark Pit
- Beam: R.O.B.
- Bomb: Bowser Jr., Diddy Kong, and Samus
- Circus: Mr. Game & Watch
- Cutter: Toon Link
- Doctor: Wii Fit Trainer and Dr. Mario
- ESP: Ness, Shulk, Mewtwo, and Lucas
- Fighter: Donkey Kong, Little Mac, and Lucario
- Fire: Mario, Luigi, and Charizard
- Hammer: King Dedede
- Ice: Rosalina & Luma
- Jet: Fox and Falco
- Leaf: Villager, Olimar, Toad, and any Animal Crossing series amiibo figure
- Mic: Jigglypuff
- Mirror: Zelda and Palutena
- Ninja: Sheik and Greninja
- Parasol: Peach
- Poison: Ganondorf and any Splatoon series amiibo figure
- Smash Bros.: Kirby
- Spark: Robin, Pikachu, and Chibi-Robo
- Stone: Bowser
- Sword: Link, Marth, Ike, Meta Knight, and Lucina
- Wheel: Wario and Captain Falcon
- Whip: Yoshi and Zero Suit Samus
If you tap a Mii Brawler, Mii Gunner, or Mii Swordfighter amiibo figure, Kirby will be granted the Fighter, Spark, or Sword Copy Ability — the exact one he gets is left up to chance, though. Scan any amiibo figure not listed here, and Kirby will receive a random Copy Ability.
Overall, Kirby: Planet Robobot’s amiibo compatibility is top-notch. The game was released in 2016 – which was arguably the apex of amiibo support in Nintendo titles – and Robobot’s developers were clearly very careful about which characters granted which Abilities. It’s a shame they didn’t implement this system into Kirby Star Allies — that would have been much more interesting!
If you would like to read more guides, please follow this link.