The original Super Smash Bros. may be over twenty years old, but it still stands its ground! In addition to being just plain fun, it’s nice to see where the series began and how far it has progressed since its inception in 1999. For players who decide to give it a go after all this time, there are a number of unlockables to obtain — including characters, stages, and features.
Characters, Stages, and Features
Unlike future entries in the Super Smash Bros. series, this game shows the silhouettes of all four unlockable fighters at once! A few of them appear in the opening movie, too, so their inclusions aren’t so secret after all. There are also two features and one stage to unlock here, too:
- Jigglypuff is unlocked by completing the 1P Game campaign on any difficulty as any character.
- Captain Falcon is obtained by completing the 1P Game campaign on any difficulty as any character within 20 minutes.
- Ness is unlocked by completing 1P Game on Normal difficulty as any character with three lives and no continues.
- Luigi is obtained by completing the Target Test bonus game with all eight starter characters (Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Link, Samus, Fox, Kirby, and Pikachu).
- Mushroom Kingdom is unlocked by completing 1P Game as all eight starter characters and playing on each stage at least once.
- The Sound Test is unlocked by completing Target Test and Board the Platforms with all twelve characters.
- The Item Switch (which really shouldn’t have to be unlocked) is obtained by playing one hundred versus matches.
If you’re playing on an emulator (or on Nintendo Switch online, assuming the game ever releases on it), remember to keep save states in addition to file saves. That way you won’t lose everything you worked so hard to unlock in case of a crash, data loss, or something similar. For more Super Smash Bros. content, feel free to join our Discord community!
If you would like to read more guides, please follow this link.