The original Super Smash Bros. may be over twenty years old, but it still stands its ground! In addition to being just plain fun, it’s nice to see where the series began and how far it has progressed since its inception in 1999. For players who decide to give it a go after all this time, there are a number of unlockables to obtain — including characters, stages, and features.
Unlike future entries in the Super Smash Bros. series, this game shows the silhouettes of all four unlockable fighters at once! A few of them appear in the opening movie, too, so their inclusions aren’t so secret after all.
- Jigglypuff is unlocked by completing the 1P Game campaign on any difficulty as any character.
- Captain Falcon is obtained by completing the 1P Game campaign on any difficulty as any character within 20 minutes.
- Ness is unlocked by completing 1P Game on Normal difficulty as any character with three lives and no continues.
- Luigi is obtained by completing the Target Test bonus game with all eight starter characters (Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Link, Samus, Fox, Kirby, and Pikachu).
There’s only one unlockable stage in Super Smash Bros., and unfortunately, it isn’t Final Destination or Battlefield. It’s the Mushroom Kingdom stage, which features retro graphics and music!
- Mushroom Kingdom is unlocked by completing 1P Game as all eight starter characters and playing on each stage at least once.
Two of the game’s features must be unlocked: the Sound Test and the Item Switch. This was scrapped in future installments, though, where these options are available from the start.
- The Sound Test is unlocked by completing Target Test and Board the Platforms with all twelve characters.
- The Item Switch (which really shouldn’t have to be unlocked) is obtained by playing one hundred versus matches.
If you would like to read more guides, please follow this link.