Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (often shortened to Smash 4 or Sm4sh) was released worldwide on November 21st, 2014. Compared to its 3DS counterpart, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U features less unlockable content, and more characters and stages available from the beginning. Regardless, there are still a number of unlockables left to obtain.
There aren’t many characters to unlock here — at least when compared to other games in the series. In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, Ness and Bowser Jr. (among others) needed to be unlocked, but that isn’t the case here.
- Falco is unlocked by clearing Classic Mode on any intensity. Alternatively, you can play 10 versus matches.
- Wario is unlocked by completing 100-Man Smash. Alternatively, you can play 20 versus matches.
- Lucina is unlocked by clearing Classic Mode at intensity 5.5 or higher. Alternatively, you can play 30 versus matches.
- Dark Pit is unlocked by clearing All-Star Mode on Normal. Alternatively, you can play 40 versus matches.
- Dr. Mario is unlocked by clearing Master Orders on Hard. Alternatively, you can play 50 versus matches.
- R.O.B. is unlocked by clearing Crazy Orders after eight rounds. Alternatively, you can play 60 versus matches.
- Mr. Game & Watch is unlocked by clearing Classic Mode at intensity 2.0 or higher with five different characters. Alternatively, you can play 80 versus matches.
- Duck Hunt is unlocked by getting one KO in Cruel Smash. Alternatively, you can play 100 versus matches.
Once again, not much to unlock. This approach allows players to access much of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U’s content fresh out of the box, but may or may not reduce its replay value…. not that Smash struggles with that or anything.
- Kongo Jungle 64 is unlocked by clearing the “The Original Heavyweights” event match.
- Smashville is unlocked by clearing the “Playing Tricks” event match.
- Pac-Land is unlocked by playing on all three stages in Smash Tour.
- Pokémon Stadium 2 is unlocked by clearing the “When Lightning Strikes” event match.
- Duck Hunt is unlocked alongside Duck Hunt (see above).
- Flat Zone X is unlocked by playing alone as Mr. Game & Watch and destroying 100 blocks in one round of Trophy Rush.
Run-of-the-mill unlockable features here. You’ve got the random stage switch and the True All-Star Mode this time around. No more unlocking the item switch and sound test!
- The Random Stage Switch is obtained by unlocking all stages.
- The True All-Star Mode is obtained by unlocking all characters.
If you would like to read more guides, please follow this link.