A complete summary of the Ice Climbers’ performance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate can be found on the character’s information page. It includes strengths and weaknesses, quirks in artificial intelligence, and an archive of tournament representation and results.
An amiibo becomes strongest when it is mirror matched all the way to Level 50 with its Learn button switched on. For more information on effectively raising an amiibo, follow this link. Here is a complete breakdown of the Ice Climbers’ moveset and which options to focus on during training:
- Neutral: The Ice Climbers’ best neutral option is their down tilt. It packs respectable damage and knockback and has relatively high range, making it a safe choice. Though down tilt should be top priority, other potential options include neutral attack, forward tilt, and up tilt. Be sure to grab often, too, and use an up throw to toss the enemy into the air.
- On-stage KOs: Forward smash and up smash are the Ice Climbers’ best kill moves. The character has range problems, so these moves must be used decisively.
- Above-stage: When the opponent is above the Ice Climbers, they should attack them with repeated up aerial attacks.
- Off-stage: The Ice Climbers have the worst recovery of any amiibo in the game, as Popo never waits for Nana to fall within Belay range. Do not go off-stage at all.
- Moves to avoid: Blizzard is not particularly useful, as it only deals noticeable damage if the opponent is directly next to Popo’s hand. Slow startup and ending lag make this move difficult to recommend.
Stats & Spirit Effects
By all accounts, the best Spirit effects in the game are Super Armor, Slow Super Armor, Armor Knight, and Autoheal. Unfortunately, these bonuses are prohibited in competitive play; if you do not intend on entering online tourneys, all of them work well with the Ice Climbers. For trainers looking to participate in tournaments where these Spirit effects are banned, here are a handful of alternate options: Additional Midair Jump, Weapon Attack ↑, and Water & Ice Attack ↑. In terms of stat spreads, setups between 2100 / 2100 and 0 / 4200 are viable options to consider.