A complete summary of Richter’s performance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate can be found on the character’s information page. It includes strengths and weaknesses, quirks in artificial intelligence, and an archive of tournament representation and results.
An amiibo becomes strongest when it is mirror matched all the way to Level 50 with its Learn button switched on. For more information on effectively raising an amiibo, follow this link. Here is a complete breakdown of Richter’s moveset and which options to focus on during training:
- Neutral: Richter benefits from a wide variety of neutral options. Forward smash is strongest at its tip and helps create space. Cross and Holy Water can be used for the same purpose. Forward tilt is Richter’s fastest ranged move and is useful to keep opponents away in a pinch. Forward aerial, back aerial, jab, and dash attack come in handy as well. Up tilt serves as a strong anti-air that can set up a juggle.
- On-stage KOs: Like most fighters, Richter relies on his forward and up smashes to get KOs. Additionally, he can throw Axe off-stage to intercept opponents’ recoveries. That said, Axe is only appropriate as an edgeguard; do not use it as a neutral move.
- Above-stage: Richter’s neutral aerial strikes multiple times and can drag enemies down to the stage. Forward aerial and back aerial have high range and, as mentioned earlier, help keep foes at bay.
- Off-stage: Edgeguarding is not recommended for Richter, as even with a tether option, his recovery is rather poor. If Simon does find himself off-stage, he can use his forward and back aerials to ensure a safe return.
- Moves to avoid: Most of Richter’s “down” moves bring him little to no benefit. These include down tilt, down smash, and down aerial. Down smash is weak and laggy, and the AI can’t consistently combo with its down aerial.
Stats & Spirit Effects
By all accounts, the best Spirit effects in the game are Super Armor, Slow Super Armor, Armor Knight, and Autoheal. Unfortunately, these bonuses are prohibited in competitive play; if you do not intend on entering online tourneys, all of them work well with Richter. For trainers looking to participate in tournaments where these Spirit effects are banned, here are a handful of alternate options: Weapon Attack ↑, Side Special ↑, and Hyper Smash Attacks. In terms of stat spreads, setups between 3000 / 1200 and 2100 / 2100 are viable options to consider.