A complete summary of King Dedede’s performance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate can be found on the character’s information page. It includes strengths and weaknesses, quirks in artificial intelligence, and an archive of tournament representation and results.
An amiibo becomes strongest when it is mirror matched all the way to Level 50 with its Learn button switched on. For more information on effectively raising an amiibo, follow this link. Here is a complete breakdown of King Dedede’s moveset and which options to focus on during training:
- Neutral: King Dedede’s forward and down tilt attacks are his fastest moves. They can be rotated at close range to great effect. Forward smash should be used sparingly to punish rolls and landings. Down throw can lead into a forward or up aerial.
- On-stage KOs: Forward smash and up smash are Dedede’s most optimal kill moves. Gordo Throw can be used to edgeguard (but be careful not to spam it).
- Above-stage: King Dedede can use all of his aerials against falling enemies. Up aerial is a particularly powerful juggle that can rack up huge damage in a short amount of time.
- Off-stage: Forward, back, and down aerials are all effective against recovering enemies. Try not to go too far out, however, as Dedede himself is prone to being gimped.
- Moves to avoid: Inhale suffers from slow startup and ending lag. Jet Hammer takes too long to charge and damages King Dedede, making it a poor choice. Down smash has short range and is prone to being spammed by the AI. Avoid using these three moves wherever possible.
Stats & Spirit Effects
By all accounts, the best Spirit effects in the game are Super Armor, Slow Super Armor, Armor Knight, and Autoheal. Unfortunately, these bonuses are prohibited in competitive play; if you do not intend on entering online tourneys, all of them work well with King Dedede. For trainers looking to participate in tournaments where these Spirit effects are banned, here are a handful of alternative options: Move Speed ↑, Toss & Meteor, and Landing Lag ↓. In terms of stat spreads, setups between 3000 / 1200 and 2100 / 2100 are viable options to consider.