The original Super Smash Bros. on Nintendo 64 is where it all started – and, technically, it’s the reason this site exists in the first place! Despite its age, it’s still fun to play. For being the first in the series, it’s held up surprisingly well over twenty years later. There are only four unlockable characters and just one unlockable stage, but we’ve got the full run-down on how to access all of them right here!
Characters, Stages, and Features
Super Smash Bros.’ four unlockable characters are Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness, and Luigi. Here’s a fun fact for you: part of the reason why Jigglypuff and Luigi appeared in this game is because they could be easily built off of existing fighters (Kirby and Mario). To this day, we’re still wondering why the developers chose to include Ness — he was already an obscure character by the time Smash 64 came out in 1999.
- You can unlock Jigglypuff by completing the 1P Game campaign on any difficulty as any character.
- Captain Falcon unlocks when you complete the 1P Game campaign on any difficulty as any character within 20 minutes.
- Unlock Ness by completing 1P Game on Normal difficulty as any character with three lives and no continues.
- Luigi is arguably the most time-consuming character to unlock. Complete the Target Test bonus game with all eight starter characters. That’s Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Link, Samus, Fox, Kirby, and Pikachu.
- The Mushroom Kingdom stage opens up when you complete 1P Game as all eight starter characters and playing on each stage in Versus Mode at least once.
- You can unlock the Sound Test by completing both Target Test and Board the Platforms with all twelve characters.
- The Item Switch really shouldn’t have to be unlocked, but you can do so by playing at least 100 Versus Mode matches.
Important to note: it’s possible to fulfill unlock criteria for Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, and Ness all at once. Unfortunately, you’ll only unlock one of those characters after completing the mode, which means you’re going to have to play again. Once you’ve unlocked all the game’s content, remember to keep a save state handy. That way you won’t lose all the unlockables you worked so hard to obtain! For more Super Smash Bros. content, feel free to join our Discord community.
If you would like to read more guides, please follow this link.