“Dexit” was a big deal for Pokémon Sword and Shield when it was released in November 2019. If you don’t know this already, “dexit” is a user-coined term that refers to the complete culling of several hundred Pokémon — as in, you cannot obtain or transfer them to the game in any capacity. The same is true for Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, and we’re here today to tell you which Pokémon did and did not make the cut. Do note that more may be added via DLC in the future!
As a rule of thumb, all Pokémon below also have their regional forms present as well (if applicable). This means Pokémon like Alolan and Galarian Meowth do appear in the game, as well as Hisuian Sneasel and every other new Pokémon introduced in Pokémon Legends: Arceus. Looks like competitive players are going to have a treasure trove of new threats to try out!
- Kanto: Charmander, Pichu, Igglybuff, Venonat, Diglett, Meowth, Psyduck, Mankey, Growlithe, Slowpoke, Magnemite, Grimer, Shellder, Gastly, Drowzee, Voltorb, Happiny, Scyther, Tauros, Magikarp, Ditto, Eevee, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Dratini, Mewtwo, and Mew.
- Johto: Cyndaquil, Mareep, Azurill, Bonsly, Hoppip, Sunkern, Wooper, Murkrow, Misdreavus, Girafarig, Pineco, Dunsparce, Qwilfish, Scizor, Heracross, Sneasel, Teddiursa, Delibird, Houndour, Phanpy, Stantler, and Larvitar.
- Hoenn: Wingull, Ralts, Surskit, Shroomish, Slakoth, Makuhita, Sableye, Meditite, Gulpin, Numel, Torkoal, Spoink, Cacnea, Swablu, Zangoose, Seviper, Barboach, Shuppet, Tropius, Snorunt, Luvdisc, Bagon, Kyogre, Groudon, and Rayquaza.
- Sinnoh: Starly, Kricketot, Shinx, Combee, Pachirisu, Buizel, Shellos, Drifloon, Stunky, Bronzor, Spiritomb, Gible, Riolu, Hippopotas, Croagunk, Finneon, Snover, Rotom, Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Heatran, Giratina, Cresselia, and Arceus.
- Unova: Oshawott, Petilil, Basculin, Sandile, Zorua, Gothita, Deerling, Foongus, Alomomola, Tynamo, Axew, Cubchoo, Cryogonal, Pawniard, Rufflet, Deino, Larvesta, Tornadus, Thundurus, Landorus, and Meloetta.
- Kalos: Chespin, Fennekin, Froakie, Fletchling, Scatterbug, Litleo, Flabébé, Skiddo, Skrelp, Clauncher, Hawlucha, Dedenne, Carbink, Goomy, Klefki, Bergmite, Noibat, Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion.
- Alola: Rowlet, Yungoos, Crabrawler, Oricorio, Rockruff, Mareanie, Mudbray, Fomantis, Salandit, Bounsweet, Oranguru, Passimian, Sandygast, Komala, Mimikyu, Bruxish, and Magearna.
- Galar: Grookey, Scorbunny, Sobble, Skwovet, Rookidee, Chewtle, Rolycoly, Applin, Silicobra, Arrokuda, Toxel, Sinistea, Hatenna, Impidimp, Falinks, Pincurchin, Snom, Stonjourner, Eiscue, Indeedee, Cufant, Dreepy, Zacian, Zamazenta, Eternatus, Kubfu, Zarude, Regieleki, Regidrago, Glastrier, Spectrier, and Calyrex.
Another important note; not all of these Pokémon are actually obtainable in-game. You’ll need to wait until Scarlet and Violet become compatible with Pokémon HOME, after which you’ll be able to transfer over select Legendary Pokémon like Dialga, Palkia, or Arceus. Keep that in mind as you plan out your teams!
Who didn’t make the cut?
As you can probably guess, several fan-favorite Pokémon didn’t make the cut. Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard are in the game via HOME transfer, but Bulbasaur and Squirtle’s evolutionary lines are both unobtainable and impossible to transfer — making Scarlet and Violet the first games in the series to make these two Pokémon impossible to use. Other notable exclusions from the Kanto region are Clefairy, Vulpix, Zubat, Porygon, and Snorlax. Some strange ones here!
Starter Pokémon from Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, and Alola are completely unobtainable, with just two exceptions: the Cyndaquil line and the Oshawott line, both of which appeared in Pokémon Legends: Arceus. A fair amount of Galar Pokémon have been cut as well; Blipbug, Nickit, Gossifleur, Wooloo, Yamper, and Morpeko are just a few of them. It seems awfully cruel to introduce a Pokémon one generation only to cut it in the next…
That’s all of them, then! If you’re looking to read even more about Pokémon Scarlet and Violet, you can do so via our guides link provided below. If you have any questions or just want to discuss the new games, you can join our Discord server too! Did your favorite Pokémon make it in, or were they axed from the Pokédex? Be sure to let us know.
If you would like to read more about Pokémon, please follow this link.